Three Churches with the same Mission
A brief introduction to the churches which compose Mirfield Team Parish will best be done by quoting sections from the websites of at least 2 of them. First St. John’s and then St Mary’s:
‘.....St John’s church is a delightful building situated on Hopton Hall Lane, to the South of Mirfield in West Yorkshire. The parish extends from the southern edge of Mirfield towards Kirkheaton and Grange Moor, although many of the congregation come from outside the parish in order to enjoy the relaxed friendly atmosphere of worship at St John’s. A friendly welcome is extended to all visitors and new faces are always made welcome.’ The foundation stone was laid in 1884 and the church was built at a cost of £1200.
‘...Thursday, October 12, 1871, will be a day long remembered by the inhabitants of Mirfield, being the Consecration of the new Parish Church. It was a lovely autumn day, the sun shone out gloriously on the vast crowds of people who flocked in from all the countryside to witness the ceremony. The day's proceedings began with the assembling of the choirs of Mirfield, Battyeford, Hopton, and Ravensthorpe, about 140 in number, at the old Church. These being joined by about 70 clergy, all vested in surplices, a procession was formed at a little after ten o’clock which moved forward to the new building.’
The Church of St. Paul in Eastthorpe, in the centre of Mirfield, had its foundation stone laid on January 25th 1881. It was built at a cost of £8000, has a magnificent east window designed by C.E. Kemp and the tower originally was home to 6 bells.
Some further information about the Mirfield Team Parish sites can be gleened from the linked pages, but for more detailed information look at the respective church websites.
St John's Church
St Mary's Church
St Paul's Church